MGA provides families with an excellent, Christ-centered educational alternative
that is a true collaboration between home and school.
How We Fulfill Our Mission
As a College-Style School®, MGA is a private, classical, Christian K-12th school that provides two-day per week classes in the Core Program, which complement the student’s at-home studying. Students attend one of our two-day programs, either Monday-Wednesday or Tuesday-Thursday, and study at home the remaining days.
Teachers engage students in the work and joy of learning together by employing class activities that extend, review, and enrich the course content. Students become independent scholars and acquire much of the course content in their at-home studies. Class content and curricula are aligned with classical and Christian principles. Courses meet state or national standards for content.
The two-day Core program offers classes in the four core subjects: Science, History and Geography, Literature and Language Arts, and Math. Additional enrichment and elective courses are offered in the Friday Enrichment program. High school classes are college-preparatory and offer a dual credit option.
All our class content and efforts are anchored by our Christian worldview, and honors and glorifies our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
MGA Texas is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation in the State of Texas.
What Sets Us Apart
MGA is the founding school for the Association of College-Style Schools®. A College-Style School® (CSS) fulfills the Mission described above in several ways that are distinct from other ‘part-time’ schools with a similar schedule.
DIVERSE Student Body. We do not pre-select our student population via intake testing. Intake testing has the effect of excluding poor test-takers, non-traditional learners, and essentially any student who falls outside the ‘bell curve.’ A Classical, Christian educational partnership should be available to ANY and all families who will commit to it.
NO Mandatory Sports Program. For MGA, it would be redundancy of area sports organizations to include a sports component in our program. (Excellent team and individual sports programs are available.) It would also require additional costs, time and staff that could be devoted elsewhere. We invest our resources solely in our mission of offering excellent, college-preparatory, engaging academic programs for our K-12 students.
Collaborative Environment. A CSS provides course content that meets state or national standards, including the at-home work that is vital to a complete course. However, we recognize the authority of the parent in the child’s life. Unlike the policy at other ‘part-time’ schools which requires students to complete assignments regardless of learning challenges, life circumstances or absences, we can make exceptions at the request of parents. Modifications or exemptions are permitted, although we expect them to be the exception, and to be carefully and thoughtfully managed in collaboration with the teacher.
Subject-Specific Teachers in Upper Levels. Unlike programs which require one adult Mentor to act as a resource in ALL subjects for high school students, a CSS provides students with teachers who are devoted to ONE Core Subject area. This allows our teachers to specialize in the core area – Math, Language Arts, History or Science – for which they have passion and knowledge, and for which they can function as a more in-depth resource for our students.
How It Works
- Students in a College-Style School® (CSS) attend classes two days/week, either Mondays and Wednesdays, OR, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays are reserved for additional enrichment and elective courses available to all students.
- Students and parents organize the at-home portion of the student’s learning and study times. Students read, research, work, write, and otherwise prepare for classes AT HOME. Students have scheduled days at home to meet all the educational goals, although the schedule allows for flexibility according to the family’s schedule and the child’s needs.
- A CSS is a collaborative education effort. We provide your child with part-time instruction, group interaction, guided discussions, individual and group projects, and many opportunities to learn with us and at home under your supervision. Parents provide the home structure to facilitate their students completing MGA assignments.
- We are an affordable private school option, with annual tuition and supply fee of $3,400. Parents should budget approximately $3,850 annual cost to allow for the registration fee, curricula and required MGA shirts.
- A CSS employs trained and experienced teachers with a background in, and passion for, the subject area or age group that they teach. In the Grammar School (K-5th) teachers are dedicated to an age level; in Upper School (6th-12th) teachers are dedicated to one of the Core subjects – Math, Science, History/Humanities, or English.
- Teachers plan, assign, and grade at-home work. Parents are responsible for helping the students study effectively and complete the assigned work. We do not accept LATE work. This policy teaches the students accountability, and facilitates the smooth processing of all graded materials, for teachers and staff.
- MGA provides a list of required curricula and supplies. Parents are required to purchase all needed curricula resources and supplies before the first week of school.
- A CSS will partner with any family whose student can participate successfully in, and benefit from, a classroom environment two days per week. To equip parents and students for a successful partnership, MGA holds two mandatory orientation events in August of each year. Family Orientation Night is when parents and students meet the teachers, view the classrooms, and become acquainted with various programs at MGA. Parent Academy is when parents learn specifics about teacher expectations, assignments, using the curricula, policies, and communication between home and school.
- Our school year is 34 weeks, from the third week of August to the third week of May. Our school day is 8:45am to 3:15pm (3pm for Grammar School). Our day begins with Morning Chapel.
In summary, a CSS facilitates a home and school partnership that provides your child a complete, classical, Christian learning environment without a large financial burden. You as the parent will need to be involved, and make a time commitment, but there is nothing more rewarding than learning with your children and overseeing their training.